- What is the Rental Registration and Inspection Program (RRIP)?
The City passed an ordinance creating the Rental Registration and Inspection Program (RRIP). The RRIP requires all landlords to register their properties with the City and have them inspected at least once every three years.
- Why does my home need an inspection?
The RRIP helps ensure rental housing in Aberdeen is safe and meets basic living standards. The program was established to protect tenants from living in poorly maintained properties.
- When will I know my unit/s will need an inspection?
The City will send letters out to landlords when their inspection year comes up. The inspection year is based on the ward location. That will determine when the inspection year.
We divided the City in threes sections. The first year of inspections are Wards 4 and 6. The second year will be Wards 3 and 5. The third year will be Wards 1 and 2.
- Who will do the inspection?
A City building inspector or a private inspector who is approved by the City to perform inspections.
- Will the inspector look at my personal possessions?
No. A rental inspection is NOT a look at your possessions or what you do in the rental unit. An inspector will NOT go through your personal items.
- How will I know when my units will be inspected?
Rental properties must be inspected every three years, although they may be inspected sooner if a has been filed with the Property Maintenance Division. Your landlord must notify you at least 48 hours before your building or unit is inspected. You should work with your landlord to arrange access for the inspector.
- Do I have to get another inspection if my tenant moves out?
Once the unit/s have passed an inspection. The inspection is good for three years when it has been issued a Certificate of Compliance.
- Why am I receiving letters from the City when I have a property management company handling my rental/s?
The duty of the Property Maintenance inspector is to contact the owner. It is the owners responsibility to contact their property management company.