Aberdeen Fire Department
Lateral Firefighter Recruitment
Establishment of an eligibility list for future openings
Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
The Aberdeen Fire Department’s mission is to prevent harm to the public and to protect property and the environment through fire suppression, fire prevention, and emergency medical services 24 hours a day.
The Aberdeen Fire Department covers a service area of its city limits (10.5 sq. miles) and additional EMS coverage outside of the city that includes about 100 sq. miles. The Chehalis River divides the city, thereby requiring a main headquarters station on the north side and a substation on the south side of the river. Both facilities were constructed in 1966. In addition to a Chief and Assistant Chief, staffing consists of 33 uniformed personnel, comprising three platoons and two daily civilian administrative employees. A daily on duty crew of eight to eleven personnel staff both stations, utilizing an engine, ladder, command vehicle and medic unit. Each shift is supervised by a 24- hour on-duty Battalion Chief.
- Completed and qualified applications will be scored.
- Application and résumé review will count as 30% of the applicant’s total score.
- The top 10 qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the oral interview process on
September 20, 2018.
- The oral interview will count as 70% of the applicants total score.
A total score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligibility list.
- In the event of a job opening, the top candidates on the eligibility list will be subject to
Conditional offers of employment will be extended by the Fire Chief at his
- Employment begins with a one- year probationary period.
City of Aberdeen Employment Application, Résumé and Supplemental Lateral Firefighter Questionnaire must be competed and turned in to the City of Aberdeen Human Resources Department no later than August 31, 2018 at 4:00 P.M (postmarks and incomplete applications will not be accepted)
For application information contact: City of Aberdeen Human Resources Department 200 E. Market Street, Aberdeen, Washington 98520 – (36) 537-3212 — www.aberdeenwa.gov/human-resources/