What is the special valuation review procedure?
  • Before beginning work, contact the City of Aberdeen Community Development Department for more information and to arrange a preliminary review of renovation plans.
  • Individual or historic district placement on a local, State or National register is necessary before applying for the special valuation program. Application for placement on the Aberdeen Historic Register may be made by contacting the Community Development Department at the City of Aberdeen.
  • After work is complete, apply to the City of Aberdeen no later than 24 months after the beginning date of the rehabilitation work. Application forms are available from the Community Development Department at the City of Aberdeen. A final review and decision by the Aberdeen Historic Preservation Commission and the Aberdeen City Council will be arranged before December 31 of that year.
  • Applications made before October 1, will be heard by the end of the year; the new value will be calculated the next year, and the new tax goes into effect the following year. Applications received after October 1, will be processed in the following year.


  • By October 1, 2010: Application is made.
  • By December 31, 2010: Preservation Commission conducts final reviews
  • 2011: Assessor determines new tax
  • 2012 and 2013: New tax goes into effect for ten years

Show All Answers

1. What is the Aberdeen Historic Register?
2. What qualifies a property for the Historic Register?
3. What is the process for designation?
4. What are the benefits of Register placement?
5. What is not affected by placement and what is not reviewed?
6. What buildings are eligible?
7. What are the requirements after approval?
8. What is the special valuation review procedure?
9. What are the submittal requirements for Aberdeen Historic Tax Applications?
10. What is the criteria for review by the commission?
11. Now that I am listed on the Historic Register what do I need to know about the future repairs, upgrades, and additions to my home or building?
12. What do I do now? My property is listed on the Historic Register and it needs to be demolished.
13. What if I do not agree with the commission’s findings?