The Historic Preservation Commission aids the City of Aberdeen with the identification, evaluation, designation and protection of designated historic properties for future generations.
The Commission is tasked with helping to:
- Safeguard the heritage of the City of Aberdeen is represented by those buildings, districts, objects, sites and structures which reflect significant elements of City of Aberdeen History;
- Foster civic and neighborhood pride in the beauty and accomplishments of the past and a sense of identity based on City of Aberdeen History;
- Stabilize or improve the aesthetic and economic vitality and values of such sites, improvements and objects;
- Assist, encourage and provide incentives to private owners for preservation, restoration, redevelopment and use of outstanding historic buildings, districts, objects, sites and structures;
- Promote and facilitate the early identification and resolution of conflicts between preservation of historic resources and alternative land uses; and
- Conserve valuable material and energy resources by ongoing use and maintenance of the existing built environment.